- if the applicant is incorporated, it validly exists under the laws of its place of incorporation
- if the applicant is an individual, they are an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- the applicant must not be a full-time undergraduate/postgraduate or masters students and the application must not contribute to coursework or research or study
- the application is compliant with Screen Queensland’s terms of trade
- no agreements have been entered into relating to the funding of the work, or any project based on the work, on interest in the work including any copyright interest
- the applicant must not:
- submit work designed for the education, training, advertising, marketing or tourism sector
- be employed by a government screen agency
- be employed by a broadcaster
- be involved with any projects in default with Screen Queensland
- seek retrospective funding
Acceptable entries include:
- Graphic Novels and comics
- Book proposals or pitches (fiction or non-fiction)
- Short stories
Process and Requirements:
- For novels, novellas, and other full-length books in PDF format: approximately the first 5,000 words + synopsis
- For plays, graphic novels and short stories in PDF format: the complete manuscript + synopsis
- Manuscripts must be formatted as per industry standard – please see the QWC resource sheet on Formatting Your Manuscript
- Synopses should be single-spaced. Please see QWC Resource Sheet on Writing a Synopsis for hints and tips
- Applications must be accompanied by a completed application form and $55.50 administration fee including GST. The fee contributes toward administration expenses of Queensland Writers Centre in administering this program.
*Materials are to be uploaded during registration.
- Applicants may enter more than one manuscript; however, each submission must be accompanied by its own application form and administration fee.
- All submissions will be assessed by staff from QWC and SQ, who will make the final decision on the shortlist of successful applicants.
- The successful applicants must submit the full manuscripts within 72 hours of being accepted to the program. Staff from QWC will circulate these to SQ.
- There will be no individual feedback for unsuccessful applicants.
Criteria & Review: All entries are judged on the basis of concept originality, writing ability, and the property’s viability as a film or television series in the current marketplace.
– Material may be published or unpublished; if published, the film AND television rights must be available.
– Queensland Writers Centre does not take a percentage of any future option or sale of your work, and all rights remain with the author, regardless of their final placement in the competition.
– Any genre accepted, including children’s books and projects intended for animation.
– Supplemental materials (illustrations, character bios, etc.) are optional.
For additional questions, email us.