Welcome to QWC’s first ever Flash Fiction Prize. This is your chance share your big stories in a few words!
First and second prizes include publication in our March edition of WQ magazine, the first time we’re featuring fiction, plus online publication for winners and shortlisted entries. The competition is open to anyone aged 15 years and above.
Opens Tuesday 12 September
Closes Thursday 30 November
- Entries must be between 50-500 words (not including title)
- First prize – $500 + publication in March 2018 WQ magazine and QWC website
- Second prize – $250 + publication in March 2018 WQ magazine and QWC website
- Shortlist – publication on QWC website
- Prizes will be paid in Australian dollars (AUD).
- $15 per entry / $10 for members of QWC or any other Australian state writers centre (Note – entry fees include GST)
- The competition is open to anyone aged from 15 years upwards (Please note, if you are aged 15 -17 years on the closing date of the competition, a parent or guardian must make the undertaking on your behalf by completing the entry form).
Number of entries
- Participants may submit as many entries as they wish; however, a new entry form and entry fee must accompany each entry.
- Opens Tuesday 12 September 2017
- Closes midnight 30 November 2017
- Please keep the content of your submissions appropriate a general audience (free from discriminatory and / or offensive content)
- Story length is a minimum of 50 words and maximum of 500 words (not including story title). Stories outside the word limit will not be considered.
- You may enter the competition as many times as you like, at a cost of $15 / $10 per entry.
- Please carefully check punctuation and spelling before submitting to give your story the best chance of success.
- The story can be written on any theme and in any genre.
- Entries must be written in English.
For some tips on writing flash fiction, see The Flash Guide to Flash Fiction by Catherine Moller
Terms & Conditions
By submitting your story you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- All work submitted is your own original work, for which you are entitled to copyright. Legal liability for this rests with the entrant.
- Your entry has not previously won a prize or been published, with the exception of your own blog or website.
- All eligible and valid entries will be read, however no feedback can be provided.
- The outcome of the judging process is final and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into.
- The number of shortlisted entries is at the discretion of the QWC Management Committee.
- The winners and shortlisted entrants will be notified by telephone and/or email and the winning stories announced in QWC’s newsletter.
- QWC will contact winners to arrange payment of prize moneys.
- The two winners’ entries will be published in March WQ magazine, and winning and shortlisted entries will be published online on our website.
- By entering this competition you are granting QWC non-exclusive rights to publish your story in WQ magazine, online or via social media, should you be selected as a prizewinner or shortlisted entrant. All copyright in work submitted work remains the property of the author.
- Entrants must be 15 years or older. Entrants aged 15-17 years on the closing date of the competition must have a parent or guardian complete the entry form.
- Entries must be made via the form on QWC’s website and cannot be altered once they are submitted.
- Refunds are subject to QWC’s refund policy.
- By sending in your entry you are agreeing to abide by these rules and legal responsibilities.
Entry form and payment