Established by the Vann family, these fellowships honour the memory of Margaret Maher and Betty Vann nee Maher, and aim to establish a legacy that acknowledges their love and support of writing. The Vann family’s intention for the fellowship is articulated in the following quote from Meg Vann:
My family is delighted to partner with Queensland Writers Centre to establish the QWC Maher Fellowship for Women Writers in recognition of two wonderful women who worked tirelessly to foster my love of story and ensure I could pursue my dreams – my grandmother Margaret Maher, Queensland’s first woman publisher, and my mother Betty Vann née Maher, who always wanted to be a creative writer but never had the chance.
Being new to arts philanthropy, it has been incredibly rewarding to work closely with QWC to establish the QWC Maher Fellowship for Women Writers, with a special focus on regional and Indigenous women. The humble work of my mother and grandmother will live on in the lives and stories of every woman to benefit.
In 2017 three fellowships valued at $500 each are offered to support women writers to undertake professional development opportunities.
Applications from Indigenous women and regionally based writers are encouraged.
Applications open: 1 June 2017
Applications close: 31 July 2017
To be eligible for a Maher Fellowship a writer must be:
- A current QWC member
- A woman with a committed writing practice, whether at an emerging or established stage in their creative development or career.
- Experiencing disadvantage in their ability to access QWC programs and services (eg. financial / geographic)
The Maher Fellowships will prioritise funding to those applicants who can:
- Demonstrate that they have a committed writing practice
- Propose a professional development opportunity through QWC’s existing programs and services that will enhance their creative development
- Demonstrate the barriers that disadvantage them in accessing QWC’s programs and services
Applications will be assessed by a panel (including an independent assessor). Applicants will be notified as to whether their application was successful by the end of August 2017.
At the conclusion of your funded activity you will be required to provide QWC with a short report that outlines your experience and the outcomes of your activity.
How to apply
- Please ensure that you have read the application guidelines before applying
- Complete this application form
- Applications must be received by QWC on or before the end of 1 June 2017
Terms and Conditions
- I have read and understood the Application Guidelines (above) and these Terms and Conditions that form part of this application.
- I have enclosed all the application materials requested by the guidelines
- Completed application form
- Writing CV
- I am an Australian citizen or permanent Australian resident.
- I currently reside in Australia
- I am 16 years of age or older. If under 18 I understand that my parent or guardian will need to contact QWC in writing to indicate their consent to this application
- I understand that the selection panel’s decision is final and no correspondence can be entered into.
- I warrant that the materials enclosed in this application are my own original work and do not impinge on the rights of others.
- I have kept a copy of my application and understand that my application and support materials will not be returned to me.
- I understand that, should I be successful in my application, I will be asked to sign a “QWC Access Fund Agreement” with Queensland Writers Centre.